Head downwards, busy hands, tired eyes, using; smartphone. Nowadays, we don’t crave for smart people, we crave for smartphones. Even the smartphones are participants of rat race now, to prove which is better than the other one. Maybe most of the time we misuse it but we can’t deny it’s usefulness too. We have our important information saved in it. And that’s why it’s important to keep our phone safe and secure. We often suffer from many problems due to smartphones and we don’t know how to handle it. Many of us are new to this complicated smart device so let’s see the basic securities which we can get for our smartphones.
The phone is like a locker to us, we have contacts, personal photographs, personal data and what not. So it’s very important to make sure that our locker is safe. You never know where malware will corrupt your phone. Precaution is better than cure so let’s see what we can do to keep our phones safe from malware, virus, spam, phishing and other device-related problems.
First of all, we should know what things we have to keep safe on our phones, there are mainly 3 things which should be kept safe, they are –
1) Data – Smartphone is kind of a data management device. We have our credit or debit card number, authentication code, private information, and it has access to our many personal works by memo or scheduler.
2) Identity – Every smartphone is customized according to the user’s identity. If it is hacked then the hacker can use it for many objectionable works.
3) Availability – If a wrong person gets access to your phone then that person can make your phone unavailable to you through some little changes.
- These problems come from 2 sources:-
1) Software-based problems
a) SMS and MMS- Some phones are unable to carry some kind of SMS and MMS. In that case, when we click on it the phone gets blocked which effects the phone’s functional ability. The virus can be sent to you by the attachments with the SMS.
b) GSM Network- Every GSM has its own code. And that code can be cracked and hacked. This destroys the phone’s communication network.
c) WiFi connection- Through wireless connection people can your phone.
d) Bluetooth connectivity- Through Bluetooth people can hack your phone as well as they can send you viruses.
e) Web Pages- Your phone can be attacked by viruses through random web pages.
f) Operating System- If you don’t update or modify your operating system then that can affect your phone.
- 2) Hardware-based problems:-
a) Electromagnetic waveforms –Through headphones, a problematic audio input can create voice interface problems in your phone.
b) Juice Jacking – If any harmful substance runs on your phone through USB port or data cable then it’s called juice jacking, it affects your phone’s hardware system. Even by using random chargers you can ruin your phone’s hardware system.
Precautions take to secure your phone:-
- One should never use smartphone except for security software. Through security software, we can cover up phone’s soft corners and we can stop viruses from run-in our phones.
- Installing antivirus on your phone is important. It helps to keep your system virus free. A firewall helps to destroy the communication between your set and harmful applications.
- One should change the password of the phone very often. Your password should be strong and not very obvious. Using the same pattern or password for a long time can leave an impression on the screen by which a wicked person can open your phone. Nowadays biometric identification is more popular than password or code number. In this case, the phone opens by the user’s eye or fingerprint, so its difficult to trespass your phone.
- You should always keep your phone’s operating system updated.
- There are some apps which help you to lock your apps separately. By these apps, you can lock certain apps before handing your phone to others thus your personal data will be safe.
- Without a good antivirus, you should never surf random web pages, a virus can attack your phone.
- You should never connect to random WiFi networks. Through WiFi, hackers can place a view on your phone. You should always connect to WiFi networks which are password protected.
- You should only allow reliable people to send you files through Bluetooth.
- You should always use your own charger. Using random chargers can damage your phone’s hardware. You should always use your phone’s charger.
- You should monitor some of your phone resources like battery, memory, and network. If your battery is draining or any file is taking unusually large space then you should check your phone by professionals. Also, you should notice if any app is using excessive bandwidth.
- You should not collect lots of apps on your phone, use famous and popular apps only and before installing new apps check its abilities first.
For some more tips check out this page – https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/the-ten-best-ways-to-secure-your-android-phone/
Some security apps – https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/security-software-smartphone-tablet/
- Keep your phone safe from stealing:-
The worst nightmare of our generation is our phone to be stolen. In case your phone is stolen, the first thing you should do is lock your sim by calling the customer care of your network. You can use some apps to prevent your phone from loot.
• Anti-theft alarm – It’s a kind of application. If you left your phone in a public place or put your phone on changing with this alarm on, and if anybody tries to grab it then the alarm will ring and it won’t stop until the owner puts the code lock system.
• Mobile security package – Some Antivirus systems provide your phone with a complete security package, like Quick Heal. They detect malware or virus, they help to recover data, by gadget tracking you can even get your stolen phone back.
Things to have in mind before selling your old phone:-
We often sell our old phones or exchange it but before doing so we need to take some steps to keep our data safe. We need to delete all our data, pictures and videos otherwise it can end up in wrong hands. You need to remove your data, some websites like wirelessrecycling.com help to wipe your data completely. But before that, you should remember to keep a backup of your data otherwise you will lose all your data.
So this is the basic securities for your smartphone. It’s always important to keep your smartphone safe from the evil hands and this is not too difficult to do. So, Be safe and keep your data safe.